Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

You're Gonna Make It After All!

I've always wanted to throw my hat up in the air, Like Mary Richards!
Not, "throw in the towel"! Young professional, finally on her own! Well, maybe not quiet so young now, but finally ready to blog!

I have been reading some wonderful blogs the past couple of years. Some on cooking, baking, decorating & design, politics & one friend's "rantings"!  I have thoroughly enjoyed escaping into other's lives & perspectives. I always thought, I want to do that, but, time passes by & it's January 2011!

So, with the crisp weather in the Houston air...the time has come...my first Blog Entry for a new year!!
Ok, back to Mary Richards. I grew up watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I wanted to be Mary. I wanted her cozy apartment. The problem, I was still in elementary school.  I was constantly turning one of my large bedroom closets into office space or a kitchen.  My Mom was used to waking up to find our living room & dining room rearranged.  I loved "space planning" even when I didn't know what it meant.  I did learn at an early age to be creative & make spaces & objects function, double duty.  I remember finding furniture next to our apt. dumpster or along side the road & would want bring it home & Mom would have to say no! 

Well, fast forward to High School.  I was the only girl in my Drafting Classes...who needs Home Economics?
I wanted to be an Architect/Designer!  I was fortunate to have great teachers who believed in me & encouraged me to enter in a local design competition, my junior year. It was with Finger's Furniture & I had to design my bedroom with a budget of $800.00. Of course, being the young Designer I already was, I procrastinated until the last night to do the project.  My 1st of many all-nighters!  You had to do a "Story Board", space planning diagram & a short essay.  I won 1st place!!  I was awarded an $800 Gift Certificate to spend in the store.  I bought the most incredible piece of furniture I could find.  It has been used as a dresser, an office armoire & an entertainment armoire, back to using it as a my dresser.  I still love 31 yrs later!  My senior yr. I entered again, but was not allowed to win 1st place, so I won 2nd place.  This time, I won $400 & bought my first sofa! 

When I had my first apartment at A&M, my roommates did not need to bring any furniture.  I had enough for a 2 bedroom place.  I was forever, rescuing chairs, tables & lamps from the side of the road & would hit garage sales on Saturday mornings, when my friends would still be sleeping in.  Still love to hit resale shops & an occasional dumpster dive in my neighborhood...thank goodness, most things are not in a real dumpster!

God has been amazing with the gifts & talents He gave me.  I take no credit for any successes I have had, only the failures.  But, His Grace has allowed me to "Make It, Afterall"!  I get to work as a Designer & get paid to do what I love to do! 

So, with all that said....this blog is strictly for me to express my passions ("rants"), about whatever inspires me & if you just happen to read it, I hope you laugh a little & stir up some creative juices of your own!

Blessings for a very Happy 2011~
Dena

A house is built by wisdom & it is established by understanding. By knowledge the rooms are filled with every precious & beautiful treasure. - Proverbs 24:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment